From:
Leon Le Leu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:55:05 +1000
Further to a previous message about ring tones, it seems everyone
has these freshly available ringtones from the latest hits; one is by
necessity subjected to them in restaurants, on trains, etc.  My children
download many ring tones, always at my expense.  The only saving grace
about their music and ringtones is that rap music, that hateful, loathsome
genre, cannot be satisfactorily rendered as ringtones.

But I cannot download the ringtones I want.  I can put them together
myself with ringtone composition software; that takes time but seems the
only option unless there are sutiable sites around.  This brings me to
a topic which is rather trivial compared with the recent concerns about
Nazi and fascist composers: what are suitable ring tones for different
phone call types?  I have compiled the following partial list - far from
comprehensive:

Child's call: perhaps something from Debussy's Children's Corner Suite'
or maybe something from the second act of Strauss's Die Frau ohne Schatten.

Debt collector's call: the Hunding pursuit motive from Wagner's Die
Walkure (this appellation may not be correct).

Lover's call: the Love theme from Strauss's Don Juan, said by those who
like Strauss to be the greatest love theme of all.  From what I have
seen not many on this list will be adopting this particular ring tone.

Mother in law's call: Alfin son tua from Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor.
Not politically correct, perhaps, but who wants a politically correct
ring tone?

Any suggestions for other call types and suitable themes would be welcome.
I would then be suitably armed for any restaurant or train setting.

Leon Le Leu
Wagga Wagga