From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:10:08 -0800
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> For all too many of the folks slaving away writing their hearts
>out, their music will be thrown out as gibberish by their heirs,
>or if the fruit of their labors does have some days in the sun, it
>will more likely after they are composing only for harps in the
>clouds.

That point has been on my mind for many reasons as of late...one of which
being, why have I spent a fair amount of my life trying to preserve the
music of those who, for whatever the reasons may have been overlooked.

One particular case in point being contact I recently made with the
American composer John Pozdro...certainly not well known.  It is not the
first time I have done this with a lesser known composer, but I have
borrowed his tapes and am doing transfers, complete with restoration,
of recordings of his music.  Ok, he wasn't Bill Schuman, but I happen
to think his music could give Hanson a run for the money.

So, what happens to his stuff when he dies.  Probably his family will
find it to be personally valuable, but I doubt any library will be willing
to house the stuff.  I have the manuscripts of one other American Composer
sitting in my house...a man named Forrest Goodenough.  What will happen
to this stuff.  It probably won't even be around for us to evaluate in
the future.

  Karl