From:
Stirling Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1904 06:19:09 -0500
Several 12 tone compoers wrote symphonies. And Bartok's support of an
atonal future softened by the 1930's - and he was never a serialist. The
correlation does not seem to hold.

The death of the symphony has been reported more times that the sinking of
the USS Franklin by Tokyo Rose - it was considered moribund for stretches
in the 19th century as well.

What is more likely is that some people are always looking back and
wondering "how can we surpass that?" And others are always looking back and
saying "I wonder how we are going to surpass that?"

Stirling Newberry <[log in to unmask]>