From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:22:27 +0000
   Frederic Chopin(1810-1849)
      Barcarolle, Opus 60

Fou Ts'ong
Sony Essential Classics 53515
Recorded 1979
TT 9:36

I wanted to make a point of providing the length of Fou Ts'ong's recording
of Chopin's Barcarolle.  It's one of the longest performances on record,
and there's just one reason for it.  Fou Ts'ong consistently holds back
the beat; you expect to hear it, but you have to wait.

Initially, the delayed beats are irksome, but they tend to be quite
attractive in the 1st section on further hearings.  However, I continue
to be skeptical of the delayed beats in the 2nd section where momentum
takes on higher priority.  In this section, Fou Ts'ong sounds as if he's
dragging the music along against its will.  The effect is the sole aspect
of the performance that is not rewarding, but it is a significant drawback
for the architectural sweep of the Barcarolle.

Recorded sound is excellent for the time period with a fine blend of
detail and richness of sound.  The other works on this all-Chopin disc
are the Fantaisie Op.49, Berceuse Op.57, Polonaise-Fantaisie Op.61, and
a grab-bag of lower echelon Chopin.

Don's Conclusions: An enjoyable version which falters in the 2nd section
with too pronounced a halting rhythm.  There are many superior recorded
interpretations, so you can safely disregard Fou Ts'ong unless "hold
that beat" sounds particularly alluring.

Before signing off, I have to say that the Fou Ts'ong performance of
the Barcarolle reinforces my view that most recordings of the work are
excellent in its 1st section but entail some problems in the 2nd section
and thereafter.  To a large degree, this is a matter of not sufficiently
recognizing the greater drive, tension, and public posture of the 2nd
section compared to the 1st.  Using Fou Ts'ong as an example, he employs
the same holding of beats throughout the Barcarolle as if the nature of
the music does not change as it progresses.  If Fou Ts'ong is on the
right path, then the music's length is excessive with inadequate diversity.
That's not flattering to Chopin's musical creation, and it's also not
in the least compelling.

Don Satz