From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 17:38:50 -0700
Jim Paterson wrote:

>Bill Pirkle posed a matching puzzle using words from both music and art,
>and as a sucker for puzzles, I had to give it a try:
>
>Of course, there's no right or wrong answers here, but we might expect to
>see a lot of commonality in the answers.  The vocabulary of one art form
>is often used to express something in another art form by way of metaphor.
>
>But what does it prove, Bill?

Well if the overwhelming majority of respondents match these seeming
unrelated things in the same way, it proves that there is an (perhaps)
unknown relationship that we should be looking for.  A random distribution
would be expected if there was no hidden or obscure relationship.  If most
people say that melody is equivalent to subject, then by the principle or
equivalence, anything true about subjects in a painting (like the main
subject should always be readily identifiable by the viewer) would be true
about the melody (theme) in a composition i.e.  the primary theme of a,
say sonata, should always be identifiable.  If this post is successful
at generating interest, we might agree that harmonies based on strange
progressions, is like a painting whose colors are typically not used
together.  etc.

Bill Pirkle