From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:17:43 -0700
Jon Johanning wrote:

Deryk Barker wrote (anent that shocking Kronos Quartet):

>>a) Concentrate on style rather than substance
>
>>I think that a lot of what Kronos-phobes have against them stems from their
>>"attytood" (as folks in South Philadelphia would call it).  They just
>>aren't respectful enough of the august tone and manner which many CM fans
>>think proper performers should have.

The term "Kronos-phobe" implies an irrational fear, and is simply
inappropriate in a context where rational, thoughtful reasons are being
given for disliking the work of these musicians.

>>b) wreck the only currently in print recording of Charles Ives (singing
>>and playing They are There!) with their own, unecessary, pointlessles
>>pretentious accompaniment
>
>Haven't heard that recording, so can't comment.

I haven't heard all of their recordings, but I owned this one (Black
Angels), and I've heard another six of their CDs, spending time with
four of them.  I either gave away or sold them all.

I can't speak for anyone else, but what I dislike is that, as musicians,
they have virtually nothing but attitude to offer.  Their quartet playing
is weak in all areas save one: they have energy.  What they lack, however,
could fill volumes.  Their tone is harsh, even when it's clear it shouldn't
be (I'm aware of the special requirements of some of their repertoire).
Their blend and ensemble playing is a shambles.  That they generally avoid
the competitive repertoire (ex., Bartok, Shostakovich, etc.) is wise for
I am convinced it would soon become clear they play at the level of, at
best, a mediocre amateur ensemble.  And all of this is true independent
of the fact that their choice of repertoire is horrific.

Now, I'm not saying this repertoire shouldn't be heard - I dislike the
repertoire of the Arditti Quartet just as much, but gleefully acknowledge
their incredible musicianship.  It's just that it appears to me that
Kronos' main appeal is they will play music few others would touch.
There's something admirable in that, without a doubt, and their energy
and determination are impressive, but I just can't believe that any music
is well-served by such consistently poor quartet playing.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/