From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 16:51:03 -0400
William J. Karzas wrote:

>>It is unlikely that the (mono) Kubelik Mercury recording [of the Bloch
>>Concerto Grosso #1] will appear on CD as Mercury previously has issued
>>the Hanson/Eastman recodings of #1 and #2 on Merc 432 718....Too bad.

And Jim Tobin replied:

>It is too bad, if that's so, because Hanson's interpretation is
>very different, more like Stravinsky conducting some of his own work;
>my brother once called the Hanson "angular." (I swapped my Hanson for
>his Kubelik.)

Hanson was an interesting conductor.  His recordings of his symphonies
are quite viable alternatives to the competition, mainly from Schwarz, but
also, in the 2nd, from Slatkin and Gerhardt as well.  All are good, but in
many ways, Hanson was the most incisive and exciting, though he had the
weakest orchestra.  Too bad he did only 1-3 in stereo.

Roger Hecht