From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 17:33:46 -0700
Re.:  Daniel Beland's comments on my report about the SFS Kancheli premiere
- yes, I agree, and special thanks for not criticizing the critic in
stronger terms.  (I just stay out of the kitchen most of the time.)

I was so busy with the review while leaving for Cincinnati that I wrote in
a murky way about his short pieces (which is what I meant) and symphonies,
which are "normal length." If I had more than 10 minutes for the report,
I would have emphasized his film work, which is outstanding.  Incidentally,
he wrote the score for a movie called "Don't Grieve," but it has nothing to
do with this new piece of the same title.

As to Debussy - Mr.  Beland is absolutely correct.  I have no idea what
synapse-misfiring was responsible for that reference.  *I* wasn't...:)

In case anyone is further interested in the SF performance, Joshua Kosman's
similarly negative review in the SF Chronicle is available on-line.  Much
to his credit, he did not mention Debussy.

Janos Gereben/SF