From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 08:30:15 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I was sorry to learn that this series was to cease production.  Can anyone
>help me with the reasons as to why this is so? Which of the series would
>list members reccomend as I do enjoy piano music.

I really enjoyed the disks from Lipatti and Lupu (especially the Lupu).
I only purchased disks where I did not already have the recorings on them
which seemed to eliminate quite a number of them.  My complaint was that
they seemed to structure the disk so that they never actually conatined
all of the material from a CD that was already on the market so there
was always some material that was left off.  For instance I may still buy
Lupu's Schumann disk despite the fact that I already have about 1/3 of the
material on the Great Pianist disk.  There were GP disks that I avoided
from Argerich and Arrau because they had material that I already owned --
it was kind of irritating.  That said I bought about 6 in the series and
I still might pick the disks for Anda and Kempff.

Steve M.