From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:34:55 PDT
Nick Perovich wrote of Hummel:

>Here was somebody who sounded not quite like anybody else, and who hit me
>at that particular classic-romantic intersection where I am especially
>vulnerable.

Classic-romantic intersection - I like that.  I also feel similarly to
Nick concerning composers of that era.  Hummel, Reicha (mentioned by Bob
Draper), and Spohr are, imho, the best "minor" composers of that time
period.  There's something about the combination of the classical approach
wedded to the beginnings of the romantic style that I find irresistable.
Did they write masterpieces? Not often, but the Hummel a minor piano
concerto is one of them.

>For those interested, I think the Stephen Hough recordings of Hummel
>concerti are terrific.

Also agree with this.  Hough's performances bring Hummel into the
masterpiece arena.  But, didn't Hough only record two of the Hummel
concerti? I think that the other two more recent recordings of Hummel piano
concerti on Chandos were performed by Shelly.  Nothing against Shelly, but
it would have been great if Hough continued with the series.

Don Satz