From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:16:54 -0400
I do sympathize with Walter Meyer and others about the perplexing decision
by WETA to drop some classical music from its morning programming (only
to duplicate programs available elsewhere in the area).  However, I also
noticed that among the other programming changes made is the return of
"Schickele Mix," long one of my favorite public radio CM programs, and
whose cancellation by WETA a couple of years ago nearly precipatated my
own decision not to renew any contributions to the station.

So depending on one's point of view, you lose some, you win some.

Now, Don Satz said:

>This brings me to one of my pet peeves - public involvement in the arts.
>You always know what a private business wants - money and profit.  What
>do these public and subsidized entities want: money? control? influence?
>reputation? high quality? exposure with celebrities?.  It could be just
>about anything, and it changes quickly as well.  There is also the "mind"
>and "behavior" control element that public bodies place high priority on
>because the power structure wants to retain its position.

Except that it was my understanding (limited though it is) that a
station like WETA gets most of its money not from the "public", meaning
the Government, but the "public", meaning listeners, and corporate
underwriters.  Guided, of course, by one of those board-of-trustee-type
bodies that seems to be ubiquitous outside of government.  I'm sure that
THOSE bodies are never engaged in any kind of "control" exercises....

>No, I'll take the private way every time when it comes to the arts.  Look
>at the basic functions that Government performs, functions which are not
>viable for private enterprise.  They are performed very poorly, and those
>are the functions Government performs best.

Of course, I'm sure that some of the folks in Don's part of New Mexico who
would scream bloody murder at government support of the arts would be the
first to be demanding what the 'government' is doing when the acquifers
that are providing water to that part of the country finally run dry.
Not that Don would think this way, of course:-)

>My opinion is that Government needs to stay far away from as many activites
>as possible, because it is inherently inefficient and arbitrary.  Since
>there is no compelling need for public involvement in the arts, this is an
>area for Government to vacate.

Yes, and if I were in a position to decide, I would (in my own inefficient
and arbitrary way), decide to let the "free market" take care of providing
water to New Mexico, and keep my tax dollars at home in the East.  But I'll
be happy to send bottled water and CDs to Don, of course.  For a price.

Adam Smi...er, Bill H.