From:
Bart Gerritse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 05:06:51 -0500
A somewhat belated response to a question by Jeffrey Hall.  He wanted to
know which recordings of Islamey where recommended in the recent IPQ survey
by Bryce Morrison.

These were:

Berezovsky (1994, Teldec 4509 96516 2)
Cziffra (1957, EMI CZS 7 67366 2)
Cziffra (1976, Recital Company Productions 1RCP 9607)
Gilels (1950, Bianco e Nero 2434)
Katchen (1954, Decca 425 961 2)

>For the record, Berezovsky's recording on Teldec gets a rosette in the
>Penguin Guide and I've heard good things elsewhere about the recordings
>of Julius Katchen and Simon Barere.

Mr.  Morrison is less positive about the Barere recordings then I expected.
He writes "As piano playing it is phenomenal, as music-making it operates
on a lower level".

Bart Gerritse