From:
Robert Floyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:33:49 -0700
Dave:

>  There was a Brandenburg Concerto set by Karl Ristenpart and the
>  Chamber Orchestra of the Saar recorded in 1962, originally available
>  on Nonesuch LPs and released on CD in 1989 on the French
>  label Accord, and apparently immediately deleted.  I can't find
>  it available anywhere.

The Ristenpart recording was my first exposure to the Brandenburgs.
I still cherish it as a wonderful interpretation with some incredible
soloists.  Up to that point, I had no idea how emotionally intense Baroque
music could be.  It may not be HIP, but it's wonderfully musical.

Nonesuch was my best musical friend in college (the early 70s).  For
$2.49 a disc, I was introduced to the world of classical music with
outstanding performances (the Horenstein Mahler 1st, for example) and
repertory that spanned the history of Western classical music from the
13th Century ("In a Medieval Garden") to the 20th (remember the Nonesuch
commissions of pieces by Subotnick, Wuorinen, Carter, et.  al.?).  It's
a special label in my heart and, I suspect, in the hearts of many
others...the Naxos of its day.

Robert Floyd
Durham, NC