From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:46:16 PDT
I've listened to the new Ashkenazy version, and it is very good.  Each time
I listen to this work, my perception of the bleakness of the composition
strengthens.  Yes, there are many other aspects inherent in the work, but
"bleak" is what stands out for me.

Ashkenazy does a fine job in bringing out the desolate nature.  The
recorded sound, surprisingly, is very good.  I'm listening to it right
now on my portable cd player which has much better sound than my computer
speakers.  I am impressed.

However, it's hard to compete with a great interpretation in a perfect
acoustic, and that's how I size up the Nikolayeva on Hyperion.  I think
Ashkenazy performs as well as Nikolayeva, but the acoustic just isn't as
"right." Of the four versions I have, Nikolayeva's is number one followed
in order by Ashkenazy, Nikolayeva (Melodiya), and Jarrett on ECM.  This
work certainly has a great discography, because the Jarrett is very
rewarding as well.  I had ordered the Petrushansky on Dynamic, but it
was backordered then cancelled.  Some other time.

Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>