From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:23:43 -0500
Ed Zubrow urged that we:

>...read the book The Pianist by Wladyslaw Szpilman ...  a short, true
>memoir by a Polish Jew who manages to survive WW II while hiding in the
>Warsaw ghetto.  ...

Kevin Sutton seconded Ed's recommendation, adding:

>...I have also heard that Roman Polanski is making a film of Spzilman's
>life.  This is one of the most moving and riveting books I have read in
>years!  Don't miss it!

Polish Radio news last night -- transmitted by CBC Radio's overnight
service for insomniacs -- reported a press conference held by Polanski in
Warsaw yesterday.  Production of the film is about to begin; it's slated to
be completed in 11 weeks.  Though some actors were named, Polanski plans to
treat Spzilman's book more like a documentary than as a novel.

Bert Bailey