From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 18:25:50 -0700
Donald Satz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>One significant difference between the two conductors is that Barenboim
>prefers the more traditional/mainstream repertoire whereas Rattle is more
>adventurous.  Hugh Canning's preference for Rattle is only his opinion and
>shouldn't be taken as a consensus view.

True.  However, we should also remember that Barenboim is older than Rattle
(56 vs 44) and that Rattle has, AFAIK, only really eschewed the traditional
repertoire in the recording studio.

Having heard a copy of his recent Pastoral at the Proms with the VPO, I for
one, amazingly enough, look forward to his recorded cycle.  This was one of
the finest Pastoral's I've ever heard - and I have heard the odd one or
two.

I am beginning to get the feeling - and this is since I left the UK - that
Rattle will be seen as one of the true greats of our generation.

Mind you, in career terms, I suspect Barenboim may be the most successful
yet soloist-turned-conductor.  Well, Menuhin, but Menuhin was, for so many
reasons, a special case.

Thoughts?

Deryk Barker