From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 20:27:24 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>If any significant criticism of a Beethoven symphony is warranted, it's
>the eighth that deserves it.  A great fifth, sixth, and seventh, followed
>by a very weak one, then reaching the heights with the ninth.  Even
>Beethoven had his "slump" periods.  I do emphasize that the eighth is
>fine on its own, just not in comparison to the others mentioned.

I can't compare the 8th to its neighbors, because it's not intended to
serve the same purposes aesthetically, emotionally or any other way.  But
I can't find any reason to say that it's weak or that B.  was in a slump
when he wrote it.  There's no evidence that it's compositionally inferior
to anything he wrote.  It's just lighter in tone.

Chris Bonds