From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 18:55:31 -0700
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Yes, but they performed it with two movements cut out, and, as far as
> I know, Ormandy never repeated it in subsequent seasons.

To the best of my knowledge the only other performances of the abridged
version were by the Louisville Orchestra, at the time they made their
recording.  I know that the extracted movement Night Music was performed
occasionally...I have a tape of it with the Boston Symphony conducted
by Leinsdorf.  Ormandy also did Zodiac by Rochberg.

Not exactly a great track record for such a fine piece.  I am reminded
of another amazing first symphony by a young American, the Blackwood
First. It was done several times in Boston with both Munch and Burgin.
I think Szell programmed it.  Szell commissioned Blackwood's Second
Symphony, but reportedly preferred the first.  Munch recorded the First.
It is a boldly dissonant work, full of great expression.  A remarkable
work for a man in his early twenties.  Like the Rochberg First, you
wonder how a work of such originality and great technique could have
come from someone so young.

Karl