From:
Susan Juhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:52:48 -0800
Another CM programmer and I hosted an all Bach show on our public radio
station today.  It's Pledge Drive time, and we weren't certain if we'd
raise much money this way.  We didn't.  But we did get phone calls from
grateful listeners who'd already pledged but just wanted to say how much
they loved the music.  Here are the choices I remember:

Toccata and fugue / E Power Biggs
 Brandenberg for strings  (viola) /I Musici
Sie werden aus Saba alle kommen from Cantata BWV 65 /Tolzer Knabenchor;
Concentus musicus Wien/Harnoncourt
 Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (from Cantata No. 147)  on 11 string arch
guitar /James Klein,
Largo from the double concerto for 2 violins
Sonata in E flat BWV 1031: Allegro moderato /James Galway, flute; Phillip
Moll, harpischord; Sarah Cunningham, viola da gamba
Air for oboe
 Sheep May Safely Graze from the Hunt Cantata, BWV 208 /Julianne Baird, sop
 Well Tempered Clavier: Prelude in Fugue in B flat major / Gilbert

For fun, we compared the Prelude & Fugue #2 in a minor by Shostakovich as
performed by  Nikolaeiva and by  Ashkenazy

As a mystery, we played an Overture from the  Goldberg Variations for
strings (Sitovsky)  and asked the listeners to identify it.

We ended with the Sinfonia to Cantata BWV 29: "Wir danken dir Gott, wir
danken dir" /Jean Guillou organist

Other people talked a lot about how expensive electricity is, the high cost
of the ISDN line, the need for another satellite station in a city "over
the hill".  We chatted about Bach.  It was a lovely way to celebrate the
first warm day in months...

Susan