From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 16:56:37 -0700
Every once and a while I need to reassure myself that I have the very best
recording of something (usually when I need to thin out my collection to
make room for more).  I took the day to listen carefully to a number of
recordings of Sibelius' Violin Concerto, and Heifetz and the Chicago SO
under Walter Hendl on RCA were the clear winners.  It's fortuitous that
the CD includes Prokofiev's and Glazunov's Violin Concertos.  This CD was
clearly unmatched by the competition, despite its age (the compilation
dates to 1986).  I've read the Naxos recording is also quite good.  Any
comparisons?

D. Stephen Heersink <[log in to unmask]>