From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:39:23 +0100
Jocelyn Wang responds to Christopher Webber:

>>With respect, Jocelyn Wang's imperious dismissal of The Critics is
>>sentimental, romantic and plain wrong.
>
>Funny, I have often read critics' sentimental, romantic and plain wrong
>dismissal of certain music (and films, and books).  The eunoch analogy
>is alive and well.

What do you demand of classical music critics? They are human beings so
they are bound to make mistakes.  I simply don't another your aversion
again critics.  What do you want: a world without critics? So you would
have to extinguish yourself since you play the critic yourself (both of
music and of critics).

>I never said that critics were entirely useless.  I did say that their
>contribution to music amounts to less than that of composers, even minor
>ones.  My gripe is not with all critics, just those who think and act as
>though their hyperbole constitutes evidence that they are more important
>than they actually are.

The problem is that you sound very hyperbolic yourself.  An old
psychological truth: we fight the fiercest fight against the people
who show us the quality in ourselves we like the least.

Robert