From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:56:17 +0000
"Charles L. L. Dalmas" wrote:

>Now, on to whether or not we should take these myriads of repeats.  I
>think it is totally a matter of personal preference.  For example, Haydn
>symphonies, with their weird three measure phrases and quirky harmonic
>texture would be naked without certain repeats;

I disagree here.

When all the marked repeats are performed in Haydn, as they are being
done in Hogwood's series, then part of the impact of the work is lost in
my view.

Symphonies are all about structure both within and between movements.
The development of the first subject and use of further subjects help
create a mood.  This is relieved or underlined by the second and subsequent
movements.  Hence there is an coherence about the movements of a great
symphony, as we all realise.  Repeats in Haydn destroy this.  This is
particularly true in the Sturm Und Drang works.

Charles also gave an expansive treatise about the origins of repeats and
how they came to become a kind of tradition.  I have a completely different
view regarding Haydn:

Having admited that Haydn marked these repeats and also making the
assertion that the music is better without them I am obliged to to show
why they should be there in the first place.

I explain this by looking at Haydn's background.  When he was in his mid
40's he was the most famous composer in the world.  But, he had come from
poverty.  To him his works were not just pieces of art they were sources
of income.

Haydn ignored his contract with the Eszterhazy family and started to sell
copies of his works through publishers.  Given this isn't it reasonable
to assume that a work expanded by ten minutes throught the use of repeats
carries a higher premium than one without them?

I also see a second reason for Haydn's use of repeats during his Eszterhazy
years.  Prince Nick was using Haydn's music for all sorts of formal and
informal occassions.  So surely it makes sense for the works to be
expandable as required to suit the circumstances.

I am afraid then that, although, I am an HIP enthusiast, when it
comes to repeats I'm prepared to be flexible.

Bob Draper