From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:01:39 -0800
Gerhard Griesel:

> If you have not done so before, would you like to discuss Berlioz' Te
> Deum?  It ends with, of all things, music for a medal parade where the
> composer uses 12 harps!  It is one of the jewels in my small collection.
> What beautiful music.

This is my other Berlioz' favorite, just a (little) step behind the
Requiem, and I love it since I was a teen.  The first I knew (I still
have it) is the Abbado/Araiza/Haselbock (DG).  During years I couldn't
find other recordings, and there are not many of them, comparatively to
other Berlioz' major works.  This one doesn't features the "Prelude" and
the "March" (the 12 harp piece) but most recordings don't include them,
I don't know why.  If I'm not wrong, I think that there are few recodings
that includes this two movements (Inbal 1990, Nelson 2001 as far as I
know). I heard some others performances at radio and once live at Teatro
Colon in Buenos Aires (2005), with a local staff: good, but the chorus
sounded a little operatic to me.  Of all movements, I have a special
fascination for "Tibi Omnes Angeli": a masterwork.  Still amazes me.

Pablo Massa