From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 19:51:07 -0500
Nicolas Croze-Orton wrote:

>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>I'm definitely not on your side.  It's quite a lyrical concerto
>
>I don`t seem to be rude or crude, and if I am i apologize sincerely in
>advance.  But I find this commentary devoid of depth...  Mendelssohn is
>lyrical, so is Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Barber, Korngold....  They are all
>very lyrical, even the concerto`s I do not like a lyrical...  I just think
>that thinking it is quite lyrical is not an argument with depth, I am not
>convinced.  I just think that the melody is boring...

I can't speak for M.  Rasmusson but my point was that it is lyrical as
opoposed to heroic--so if you have to have your beethoven heroic then you
might be disappointed by the vln cto...

>It is well known though in almost all musical circles, that Beethoven`s
>forte was not in melody creation...  He surely is not to Schubert or
>Tchaikovsky`s height for example...

Depends on what you want in a melody.  You say you are a Beethoven lover
but you think he's weak on melody.  Does this mean that you like other
aspects of Beethoven and that you therefore find those aspects missing in
the violin cto? If so what are those things you like about Beethoven that
you find missing in the cto?

Are there themes of Beethoven that you DO like? I like the second theme
of the slow movement of the 9th; the main theme of the Archduke Trio;
that cute little tune in the first movement of his Op. 135 String Quartet;
the opening cello theme of Op. 59/1; the main theme of the Appassionata
sonata.  The truth is, I don't think Beethoven very often wrote a bad
THEME--even if they aren't always melodic in the Schubertian way.  The
truth of the matter is that a lovely Schubert melody is not cut out for
motivic development, and that is what Beethoven loved to do and did better
than just about anybody.

By the way I admire your courage for speaking your mind on the concerto.

Chris Bonds