From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 13:05:25 -0400
Patrik Enander wrote:

>Since quite a few members on the list listed Naxos a favourite label, I
>hope that you can give me exampels of really good Naxos CD, CD:s that
>does't sound budget label but can hold up to comparision with major
>full-price releases.

All the Bruckner Symphonies with Tintner.
Elgar Second with Downes. (The First with Hurst is not as good)
Elgar: Falstaff
Bax: Second Symphony
Walton: Hindemith Variations, etc.
Bliss: Miracle in the Gorbals, etc.
The Maggini Quartet discs are more controversial, but I like what I've
heard: Moeran and Elgar.
Sibelius 1 & 3 with Sakari
VAughan-Williams Symphony 7, 8
Elgar Cello Concerto
Elgar Violin Concerto (not the best, but decent; some like it more than I)
Rawsthorne: Violin Concertos
Parry: Symphony 2 (I wish they'd do the rest. The Chandos set is okay, but
I kind of like this better)
The English String CD with Leaper is decent
I've liked the American music series that I've heard (Strong and Lees
symphonies; Piston Violin Concertos)
Arnold: Symphonies
Walton: First Symphony

You'll get more suggestions. I didn't include standard rep works because I
had those so heavily covered before Naxos came out. There may be a lot of
good things there.

Roger Hecht