From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2007 13:21:57 -0500
"Roger Hecht" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Donald Clarke wrote:
>
>> If the British are too polite, we Americans are too rude.  Suggest
>> to a shopping mall or a supermarket that they turn the "music" off and
>> they'll just look at you like you're crazy.
>
>Yes, but often they will accommodate you.  I know. I've done this many
>times.

Oh sure.  Just the other day my son and I were having breakfast in a
greasy spoon cafe when he had a call on his cellphone (he's a builder).
I am sure the proprieter would have turned down the incredibly loud
TV soap opera if we'd asked her.  Or in most restaurants and bars where
the music, any music, is too loud.  Then they turn it right back up as
soon as you leave.  They don't get it and they don't want to hear you on
the subject.  I have even heard defective tapes or tape players in pubs
(Nat Cole sounding like a little old lady on speed) and they don't hear
anything wrong.  Try to talk to a chain/franchise or any big box store
or a shopping mall; you won't even get through to anybody in charge, at
least not in the USA.  We have gone too far down a very slippery slope,
and as Rick Mabry suggests, the moozak goes along with the bright lights
and the constant advertising.  There is no way back.

Donald Clarke