From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:05:31 -0800
Ed Zubrow:

>Norman Del Mar explains in Anatomy of the Orchestra: "in his more
>patient moments he [Strauss] would explain that if the player *thought*
>the unobtainable note strongly enough and tried hard to look as if he
>*was* playing it, the audience would never know it was missing."

Reminds me of Meredith Willson's 'Music Man' where Professor Harold
Hill teaches his prospective band musicians to use the Think System.
And a hilarious bit from the, I think, Hoffnung Interplanetary Music
Festival recording from the 1950s where Herr Doktor Professor Klaus
Domgraf-Fassbaender cautions that when playing a certain section of
composer Bruno Heinz Jaja's 'Punkt Kontrapunkt', 'You muzt not PLAY
zee the note.  You muzt only ZINK it.'

Scott Morrison