From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:07:32 -0500
Gregory Ginn:

>We really need to appreciate Naxos for what it really is, an economical
>label for those who are just getting into classical music and for those
>who find themselves on a budget and cannot always get the Decca or the
>Deutsche Grammophon recordings.

I partly agree.  It is a fine thing to buy a quality cd for less
than a movie admission, and most of us do not have unlimited resources
available for cd purchases.  But Naxos is somewhat more than that ever
since it started exploring some of the byways as well as the highways.  It
is now a source of off the beaten path repertory, some of it not otherwise
available.  AND it has brought some previously not well known performers to
the fore.  I am thinking particularly of Tintner and the fine cellist Maria
Kiegel(spelling?).  There are many others.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University