From:
Norman Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 12:51:07 EDT
Bob Draper writes:

>But the trouble is that the public at large do NOT see such films in the
>context of pure fictional entertainment.  They see them as documentary
>biographies.  We think it's supposed to fun but is it really.

How many documentary films does Hollywood turn out? Is "Immortal Beloved"
also expected to be documentary?

>If anyone has this film video in their collection would they kindly look at
>the credits and see if there is anything there like "All resemblance to any
>person dead or alive is unintentional" or "This is a work of fiction not a
>documentary".  I guarantee you won't find any such statement.  Because the
>film IS indeed presented as a factual account.

I wouldn't expect it to, as when a statement to that effect does appear,
it is as you say, at the very end, while the audience is on their way out,
simply to protect the film makers from any possible legal action against
them.  When the fictionalization is of consequence it is always up front
in the beginning before the action commences.  Similarly, when the film IS
factual, we usually see some statement up front at the very beginning when
everyone IS watching!

Norman