From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:19:28 +0100
John Dalmas wondered:

>>Beethoven and the mysterious beloved had a true affair, not something like
>>Dante and Beatrice.
>
>Okay, I'll give you the point they may have had a tryst or two.  It is
>just the "immortal beloved" stuff that makes me wonder.  How often do we
>men indulge in hyperbole when attempting to connect? (Raise your hands, you
>men out there!) It seems to me that too much is made of this one alleged
>liaison.  Is it really that significant in a discussion of Beethoven?

That is, of course, a matter of taste.  To a biographers it's very
important.  See, for instance, all those lines one Solomon, seen by
so many as a good biographers, devoted to this affair.  If you are not
interested, OK, that's your choice.  But others have another choice.  Let's
try to stay tolerant.  BTW, the woman surely meant much more to Beethoven
than a "groupie." That can be learned from his very instructive diary and
for those who are interested in the man Beethoven that's enough to be
curious for her identity.  If it was Josephine Brunswick one can speak
of lifelong affair, started in 1799 and ended when she died in 1821.
According to various experts on the role of Josephine in Beethoven's life
it's even not difficult to point to her influence in a whole bunch of
compositions, including the Missa Solemnis.

Joyce Maier
www.ademu.com/Beethoven