From:
Nicholas Yasillo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 19:51:09 -0700
Steve Schwartz says:

> I'm perfectly willing to own up to treating Muti unfairly.  I should
> give him a chance.

Which is much more generous than "Muti bashers" Alex Ross (The New Yorker)
who calls him a "jet-set celebrity conductor" and the San Francisco
Chronicle's Joshua Kosman who worries that the C.S.O (because Muti is
66 years old) may be "trading long-term security for a short-term payoff".

I think it's just "sour-grapes" because the New York Phil.  couldn't
strike a deal!

To friend Karl Miller who wrote:

> On the other hand, I doubt we
> will hear much new music, less familiar repertoire, or American Music.

Muti certainly has a reputation for "conservative" programming, but, if
you check his Philadelphia programs, you will find that he did program
works by Shulamit Ran, Gyorgy Ligeti, Luciano Berio, Bernard Rands,
William Bolcom Christopher Rouse, Richard Wernick, Vincent Persichetti
and even Chicago's own "bad-boy" Ralph Shapey!  Also, please remember
that Muti will only be conducting (10) weeks per season and hopefully
Pierre Boulez will continue his long relationship with the C.S.O for
many years.

Seriously, my biggest concern is that the the initial relationship
between the C.S.O and Muti is mainly based on a one-month whirlwind
courtship that both parties found to be much better than expected.  I'm
guardedly optimistic that both sides are mature enough to realize that,
like a marriage, once the relationship becomes more permanent and the
overlooked worts become visible, some painful adjustments may be necessary.

Nicholas Yasillo, Director
Norton Building Concert Series, Lockport, IL
http://www.NortonConcerts.com