From:
Alan Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 14:12:41 -0000
"Mats Norrman" wrote:

>To snesk in backstage the days before the concert is a good thing.  I don't
>know for Levine but I have experienced that many conductors do nothing more
>then drive the piece through.   And thats people with names!

Indeed there are certain rehearsals to which non-performers are
given access.  It's usually the final rehearsal and often called a Dress
Rehearsal, but it's usually treated by everybody as a performance, and it's
quite normal to go straight through the program.  The working rehearsals
would have already taken place, not to mention the conversations in the
Green Room and so on.

>Then I go with Tate and Dorati who spend a lot of work at their
>repetitions and know what they want (theyre very talkative).  Pity just
>that they never got Levines payment.  Such conductors seem to have worked
>harder and more inspired for it than Levine.

I assume they get the payment that they agreed to.  Probably that is enough
for them.  You don't see Tate and Dorati begging on the streets.

>Thereto Levine is fat and ugly.

Let's just say this comment is irrelevant.  By the way, my wife thinks
Simon Rattle is slim and good-looking.  And she just loves his curly hair.
Don't let her hear you criticize any of his performances.

Alan Moss