From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 13:45:22 PDT
Gerado Constantini wrote:

>But I don't think is a must to like Aldwell's Bach playing; if
>somebody likes Bach played in piano, you still have Gould, Schiff,
>Nikolaieva, etc.

Sure, nobody will expire without Aldwell's Bach.  But, he's highly
distinctive and worth checking out.

At the risk of sharp objects being beamed my way, I can't place Schiff in
the front-rank of Bach interpreters.  To me, he's the Mr. Mainstream of
Bach piano intepretation.  That's not bad at all.  I always enjoy the
experience when I listen to Schiff's Bach, and I appreciate the mainstream
playing.  But, he doesn't scale any heights I recognize except for his
recording of the Inventions which I like more than any other.  Go figure.
That was the first Bach I heard from Schiff, and his subsequent recordings
have been a little disappointing.

Don Satz