From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:34:46 -0400
Eric James wrote:

>The traditional version of the Requiem is the one that brought tears to my
>eyes when I heard it in St. Stephen's in Vienna, oom-pah accompaniments
>and all.  For me it is still an immensely satisfying work in its original
>form.

I'm afraid I always found the sections by FXS to be uninspired - and
for a simple reason.  Mozart's counterpoitn works more easily than FSX.
Mozaart's whole construction flows easily from the shapes of his music, and
hence is easy to teach even the most amateur of singers.  Once they learn,
they execute.  FSX wrote primarily in a vocal homophonic style which is
reminiscent of Gluck and the common church style of the time.  Massed
voices are powerful even when badly employed.

Stirling S Newberry