From:
Bogdan Petculescu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:28:25 -0500
Mitch Friedfeld asks:

>Soliciting recommendations on the Shostakovich preludes and fugues.
>My son's wind symphony played a transcription of one of them this
>weekend (op. 34, no. 14), which reminded me that this is a hole in
>my DDSh collection.  Any opinions specifically on Keith Jarrett's?

I'm not sure if you mean the Preludes Op 34, an earlier work by Shostakovich,
or the Preludes and Fugues Op 87.

About the latter: I don't know Keith Jarrett's version, but I can strongly
recommend Konstantin Scherbakov's (Naxos 8.554745-46).  Of course, there
is always reason to consider Tatyana Nikolayeva, to whom the Preludes
and Fugues were dedicated by Shostakovich in the early 1950's.

Regards,

Bogdan Petculescu