From:
Donald Scarinci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:08:51 EDT
There is some dispute in this thread about whether sound quality matters
in recommendations for CD purchases.

There is no question that a great performance is a great performance
regardless of whether it is DDD 5.1 surround or a tin foil pressing.
There is great and somewhat unsurpassable value in the quality of the
performance.  However, For those who are fortunate to have high end audio
equipment and for those who have high end 5.1 channel in an acoustically
correct room, there is no question that sound quality matters.

Telarc is recording all new material in 5.1 surround.  I picked up Mahler's
9th by Jesus Lopez-Cobos and put it on the system.  All I can say is WOW!
You are there.  You are listening to Mahler for the first time (which I
am).  You are experiencing a live performance however flawed Lopez-Cobos
might be (and I'm not sure that it is flawed or imperfect).  You are IN
THE MUSIC, with the conductor, which is right where you want to be.

So, while performance does and will always be the primary selection
criteria for a CD purchase, I believe that you MUST talk about the sound
quality as well when making a recommendation

Donald Scarinci

 [The question isn't whether sound quality is important (it certainly is
 to me and most others).  The question is whether DDD is any indication of
 sound quality.  It isn't, as anyone who has sampled a sufficient number of
 recordings can attest.  The assumption that a recording must be DDD to have
 great sound quality is not only flawed, it is simply ridiculous.  -Dave]