From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 16:20:10 -0500
Karl Miller:

>I would be most interested in seeing some titles of bad music.  I am just
>sincerely curious.

Actually, I heard one last night: the premiere of Frank Proto's Citizen
Soldier (words by John Chennault; Paul Winfield, narrator), commissioned
for the opening of the D-Day Museum in New Orleans.  It was one of those
"Let's throw a shovel-ful of stuff against the wall and see what sticks"
pieces - a loose accompaniment to a narration (a lot like the score to a
Dragnet episode, come to think of it).  Unfortunately, it was preceded by
Copland's terse and incisive Fanfare for the Common Man.

I emphasize that it wasn't bad in terms of technique - the orchestration,
for example, was competent.  Proto knows what the lowest note of the
bassoon is.  The piece just added up to a big zero.

Steve Schwartz