From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:50:56 -0700
John Dalmas ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

Deryk Barker wrote:

>There are two by Kertesz, etc.
>
>I am curious that so many Americans prefer non-Slav, Hungarian (Kertesz,
>Szell, Solti, Dohnanyi, Dorati) conductors of the music of the Slavic Czech
>composer Dvorak.

Firstly John, I am not now nor have I ever been a citizen of the United
States.  I am, by choice, a North American, in the sense that Canada is
also a part of that continent (as is Mexico).

Nor would I take Solti, Dorati or Dohnanyi in Dvorak in preference
to Talich or Kubelik, although I still regret the extremely expensive
1980s New World under Neumann which I find one of the blandest ever.

But why do you think this is an "American" phenomenon.  Kertesz recorded
his complete cycle with an English orchestra for an English label and the
(English) writers of the Penguin Guide have always rated it very highly
indeed.

Maybe it's an Anglo-Saxon thing?

Deryk Barker