From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:01:26 +0000
Walter Meyer writes:

>Finally, assume that Mozart, born in 1956, were to exhibit the same
>precocity, and compose the same works that he had actually composed
>two hundred years earlier..... How do readers here believe his music
>would have been received?

If Mozart were writing the same works, I speculate that none of them would
even see the light of day.  There's a time and place for everything, and
Mozart's music wouldn't stand a chance in the 20th century.

Of course, if Mozart were born in 1956, he wouldn't write the same music.
Personally, I don't even think he would be writing any classical music.
Maybe jazz or progressive rock, but not classical.  My belief is that the
majority of potentially great classical composers in the latter half of the
20th century stayed clear of classical music.  They went where the money
and fame reside.

Don Satz