From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:27:32 -0500
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I had read the name but heard none of his music until today - Stokowski's
>version of his 3rd symphony on the radio.  It had the sort of attractive
>restless energy I associate with such of the Mennin symphonies as I've
>heard.  Is this characteristic of his other music? The presenter hedged
>his bets on pronunciation - go'-eb before, gurb after (the latter would
>have been my guess).  Which is it?

As for the name...Goeb's name came up once in conversation with composer
William Mayer.  He knew him and pronounced the name Geb.

All of Goeb's music I have heard is stylistically the same.  His music is
now at the ACA.

If anyone out there taped the Albany Symphony performance of the Goeb 5th
Symphony I would be most interested!

I have the following in my collection and love every piece!

   3 American Dances for Strings
   Concertante No.2 for Cello and Strings
   Concertino II for Orchestra
   Concerto for Piano and Orch.