From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:14:51 -0700
Andreas von Doebeln asks:

>Could anyone recommend a good performance of Schoenbergs Gurrelieder?

Funny you should ask.  The Chailly/RSO on London is one of my favorite
performances of all time.  (My jock younger brother, who makes fun of my
music every chance he gets, esp.  opera, does an astonishing imitation
of Hotter's, shall we say, animated role as the speaker.  Try to imagine
Hitler crossed with Barney, the drunken character from the Simpsons.)

Recently I picked up a used copy of the Sinopoli/Dresden.  The Gramophone
actually liked it.  It's ok, but the vocals on the Chailly are better and
the RSO is more focused and refined.

Enjoy!

John Smyth