From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 16:15:37 -0400
Ok.....I can take no more.....First let me say that I am tired of hearing
the Naxos label referred to in the manner of being "good for beginners".
This is a very elitist attitude and it really makes me ill....These CD's
are GREAT for ANYONE who enjoys classical music.  I myself have a
very discerning ear and a collection of several hundred CD's from all
labels(Hyperion, Harmonia Mundi,DG, telarc, Virgin, CBS, Sony Classical,
EMI..just to name some).  I find the quality in their(Naxos') recordings to
be almost entirely first rate.  True there are some selections that leave
much to be desired but this is true with EVERY label!  Furthermore....there
is nothing to say that the artists on Naxos are any less than the "BIG
NAMERS" on the other labels.  They are just unknown, yet I find MANY of
their performances to be superb.  When you are forced to pay 14-20 dollars
for a CD you're most likely just buying the name..not the performance.
After all, isn't the preference for how a performance "should" sound unique
to the individual? I think it is.  Naxos, in my opinion is doing what is
right.....by offering first rate performances, yet, not forcing classical
music lovers to break their bank if they should decide they want to walk
out of the store with a handful of classical treasures!

Wes Crone