From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:58:02 -0500
Norman Schwartz on Amadeus:

>I sense a much greater accuracy than just the "time period".  We know from
>WAM's letters that he did make numerous scatological comments and leaned in
>the direction of obscenity.

 From a modern point of view, yes.  From the point of view of the
18th-century, he was no more crude or obscene than most people in court
circles.  He learned his manners, in short, from the aristocracy, not from
the evangelical middle class.

>He was also browbeaten by his father, who was always giving him direction,
>and to whom he would continuously have attempt to justify his actions.
>Leopold strenuously objected to his marriage to Constanze and the Weber
>matriarch.

He was so browbeaten by his father that he gave up the violin AND married
Constanze, both over his father's strenuous objections.

>...  A comparison, or mentioning Amadeus in the same sentence with "Dumb
>and Dumber" has got to be the dumbest!

Well, I never claimed to be smart.  And, just to stir the waters a little,
I also hated Shakespeare in Love, for much the same reasons.

Steve Schwartz