From:
Heinz Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:45:04 +0000
Felix Delbruck wrote:

>Regarding hidden innuendos in 'bona nox':
>
>Is there anyone who has heard it as a round or who possesses the mental
>acuity to work out how the voices combine? Or is this an example of an
>'innocent' round? I've been wracking my brains without much success.

The text of the round "Bona nox" which you quoted in an earlier mailing is
definitely a purged version.  I dare to cite the original words and hope
nobody on this list will take offence:

"Bona nox! bist a rechta Ox;
bona Notte, liebe Lotte;
bonne Nuit, pfui, pfui;
good Night, good Night,
heut' muessma noch weit;
gute Nacht, gute Nacht,
scheiss ins Bett, dass' kracht;
gute Nacht,
schlaff fei g'sund
und reck' den Arsch zum Mund."

The round was written in September 1788, the words in the last but four and
the last line can however already be found in Mozarts letter from November
5, 1777 to his "Baesle" Maria Anna Thekla Mozart in Augsburg.

Not hidden, but quite obvious innuendos are also to be found in the round
"Difficile lectu mihi Mars" which sounds in German like "You can kiss my
a..."

Heinz Kern