From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:45:44 -0700
"Yoel L.  Arbeitman" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on the subject of
public broadcasting....

>The fact is, Karl, that I do listen to both a good deal in want of much
>choice.

I guess my point is that we have some choice these days.  I wish I could
get internet radio in my car, but I am happy with my CDs...even if most
of the CDs I listen to are those I have made of the old tapes and 78s I
have in my collection.

An example, a friend of mine is interested in recording the Ginastera
Second Piano Concerto.  I checked my files and found that I had a two
hour broadcast of an old broadcast (c.  mid 70's) of the listening room
with Robert Sherman.  He devoted TWO HOURS (in the MORNING) to a visit
with Hilde Somer where they discussed the Ginastera Second Concerto.
This was in preparation for a concert that week which featured the work.
The broadcast was sandwiched inbetween some commercials and the news.
What chance that would happen today?  I have also dubbed hour long
programs on Cowell, personal interviews with people like David Diamond,
etc.  Maybe I need to start a business on nostalgia radio for classical
music lovers...

For me, the "cheese has been moved." I will, from time to time, "cruise
the radio dial." And then I switch it off.  And for those of you too
young to remember, radios did have dials at one time.

  http://www.vcomp.co.uk/dials/dial_glass.htm

Karl