From:
Bill Cutler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:14:00 -0500
I wrote:

>>As far as publications are concerned, the ability to read music is a
>>requirement essential only to those written by and for composers and
>>musicologists

and Steve Schwartz replied:

>I don't quite agree.  I'm neither a composer nor a musicologist, but
>I benefit when someone tells me how a piece might be put together.
>What you assume is that only composers and musicologists know how to
>read music and therefore can be the only beneficiaries.

I apologize for poor phrasing, but I did not make any assumptions.
My intention was merely to point out that, for Time magazine and other
such publications, a particular writing style (and an understanding of
their speciality) is of paramount importance for editors.  If Time could
hire someone who was both an accomplished composer (or musicologist) AND
an adept writer, they would pay big bucks for that person; however,
writing ability trumps the ability to read music (and I don't mean
Donald).

Bill