From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:18:14 -0400
David Stewart wrote:

>I am going to go to Candide, as I have promised someone I will.  I just
>wondered if there were any thoughts about it.

I had a choice between seeing that at the Old Vic and hearing the Delius
Requiem in Albert Hall.  For reasons I cannot recall today, I opted for
the Bernstein.  Other than the overture (which I knew beforehand) and the
finale "Let your garden grow" or whatever, I found the whole work boring.
I don't think the performance was the problem either.  To be fair, my wife
liked it better than I did.

>I have WSS so relative to that?

Maybe someone else can, but I would never know the same person wrote
these two works.  Candide is quite in the classical mode with none of
the modernity and jazziness, and, frankly, excitement and color of WSS.

Roger Hecht