From:
Gerhard Griesel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:47:55 -0700
I count myself lucky that I discovered Rheinberger's two concertos for
organ and orchestra (Op.  117 and 137) at a fairly young age.  This has
left me with many remaining years during which I could listen to these
two remarkable works.  They are so tuneful, one tends to whistle parts
after listening.  The prominent part played by the French horns is
especially satisfying.

I have three recordings: 1.  An older tape version in which E Power
Biggs is the soloist.  This version has a flat sound, as if the tape
is defective.  I heard this on two different tapes.  2.  A Scandinavian
Classics label 220549-205 with the Chamber Philharmonic of Bohemia.  3.
A Cappricio label 10336 with the RSO Berlin.

Now my question:

My two CDs contain chamber music wedged between the two concertos:
Rheinberger's Trio for Violin, Cello and Organ Op.  149 and his Suite
for Violin and Organ Op.  166.  I don't particularly like chamber music
and I wonder whether recordings of these two works, which are otherwise
quite listenable, are available as concertos with full (string) orchestra?
Does anybody know?

Regards
Gerhard
http://skoongrappies.com