From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 23:47:55 -0300
Robert Peters:

>Yes, but the point is that Beethoven was restricted by the aesthetics of
>his day.  It would be very interesting to know (alas, it is impossible)
>how he would compose today given all the artistic freedom contemporary
>composers have.

when poor little artists were kept in a cage by an infamous giant
named (fill the blank).  He dictated them the laws of aesthetics, and
if anyone of them dared to defy his canon, the giant ate him without any
consideration.  When the giant was young he was a real tyran, but he became
much more kind as years passed by.  So, the more you go back in time, the
less creative freedom allowed to poor little artists.  As all we knows,
that explains many things in art history.

Pablo Massa