From:
James Kearney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 15:11:29 -0000
John Smyth wrote:

>If you are already a Ligeti fan, you'll want to add this opera to your
>collection.  If you are not, I would definitely start with "Atmospheres"
>and "Lontano," (on DG with Abbado/VPO), The Violin/Cello/Piano Concerti,
>(on DG with Boulez/EI), and the Piano Etudes, (on Sony with Pierre-Laurent
>Aimard).

I'm a fan.  Ligeti's musical humour and scintillating scores have
entertained me without fail.  I was disappointed when the Royal Opera
House, Covent Garden, cancelled its production of "Le Grand Macabre"
last year, owing to inadequate stage facilities.

I enjoyed the virtuosic solo writing in the Violin Concerto last week
when Christian Tetzlaff played it with the LSO under Pierre Boulez, and
can't wait to hear it again with the Tamsin Little and the CBSO under
Simon Rattle at the end of the month.

I second John's recommendation of the Piano Etudes on Sony SK 62308, wth
Aimard's pin(g)-sharp playing.  Even Dave Lampson would tap his foot to
the Allegro Con Spirito of Ligeti's Musica Ricercata, also on this CD.
 [Only with a gun to my loved ones head.  -Dave]

James Kearney